Thursday, March 15, 2007

answer: Rich Mullins

i am starting with an easy post - i teach high school sunday school. one question i often ask is "What's in your CD player" ... why? because it says everything about what you're thinking about, where your focus is, what your heart is set on... especially in the majority of teens.

Yesterday i made a decision prompted by the Holy Spirit, to turn, to confess and repent and come home. i was living a very dry life for the past few months, really having a difficult time hearing God or speaking to Him. unconfessed sin dries the ground. i was not growing and therefore i was, by default, receding. yet God in His great mercy has given me a heart for Him so even in this time i was desiring to come home into fellowship.

i prayed with a dear friend and prayer partner of mine. a woman after God's own heart that i can trust with the depths of mine. we lived James 5:16-18 for a few moments after BSF was over. The lecture had taken me to Mt Transfiguration where i saw Jesus and longed to be with him and our prayer was my following the command of the man to take up his mat and walk. (Jn 5:5-9a)

when i spend my mornings in my bible study and then my evenings in reading and renewing the mind i find i am alive. and when the "background noise" my ADD nature needs as i work is more than reruns of old tv shows on DVD i find i have more hope. i don't get frustrated and sucked into the banality of life that is when you live without God, without a purpose greater than self.

so right now, in my cd player/DVD player actually is Rich Mullins. if you are looking for Christian music with ideas that dance and melody that enlarges that soul he is your guy. there are very few artists that write with such a depth and seeking of God, the center and heart of Him.

There is a dvd/cd set called Here in America. You need that DVD.

"I always find it interesting all the people that read the Bible so they can find answers and just about every time in my life i've ever found an answer if I went back and read the Bible it would blow it out of the water. So I've given up trying to find answers in the Bible and am learning to look in there for the weirdest character of all of em and that would be God Almighty Himself. who is a... bizarre from our whole point of view that someone could be so totally Other and so completely by Himself yet He could want us badly enough that He would become like us in order to help us become like Him. If you want a religion that makes sense I suggest something other than Christianity but if you want a religion that makes life then I think this is the one." - rich, intro to Our God is an Awesome God

2 comments:

DK & The Fluffies said...

When I need inspiration, I walk outside into the sunshine, close my eyes and listen. -DKM

Zinger said...

that's really cool - btw i like the music you've been putting on your site lately. i "try" to play classical guitar and love that introspective stuff!